It’s the question you’re all here for. As we help you understand what it takes to properly manage a website in-house, please keep these kinds of tasks in mind:
- Updating blog posts
- Changing images
- Adding new pages
- Adding new projects
- Adding new features
- Lead generating
- Conversion Tracking
- Updating themes / plugins
So, can you manage your own website? The short answer is “yes, of course!” However, the long answer is “yes, but…”
The but here is a big one, and it depends on these questions:
1. Is managing your website an effective use of your time?
Does this scene sound familiar:
You add “Create Blog Post” to your mile-long to-do list. Months go by, and there it is: still at the bottom of your list—staring at you. You’re too busy worrying about your bottom line, so it sits yet another month.
I see this all too often. If this doesn’t sound like you, though, great! Just read on to the next question.
2. Do you have the knowledge?
Managing a website is not something that can be fully learned in a one-hour training session. I’ll give you an idea of the types of knowledge you’ll need to have with the following questions:
- Do you know the ins and outs of the content management system your website is built on?
- Are terms like pages, posts, links, navigation, jpeg, png, sections, themes, and plugins foreign to you?
- Do you have to keep emailing your web design company and asking, “How do I do ________?”
- If something on your website breaks, can you fix it in a matter of minutes?
- Is this what you want to do to your computer after trying to update your website?
3. Are you equipped with the tools for hosting?
Hosting a website involves a dedicated server that doesn’t turn off. Do you have a computer in your office that can be on 24/7? What happens in a power outage? What happens if it floods?
We use cloud hosting, which makes use of different servers in different places to ensure as little downtime as possible. You can make use of these same services, but it can be tricky for a non-developer to investigate and fix issues that may arise.
If you answered no to any of these questions, you may not be equipped to fully manage your own website—and that’s okay.
Hiring a professional web design team like Yas can take your website from being outdated to a revenue generating machine. Get in touch with us for more information by giving us a call at 306-249-9609, or emailing us at email@example.com.